Saturday, July 29, 2017

Holiday pay



Name of problem: Holiday pay
Describe the problem: You would get $60 of holiday pocket money and you spent ¾ on toys and ⅓ was left on lollies. Then you bought 2 pies $2 each so altogether $4.
How much money is there left to save?
What fraction of pocket money is left?
These are the strategies and knowledge I used to solve the problem.
(add more bullet points for each step)

  1. First I halved the 60 and then I got 30, so I halved that too and then I came to fifteen, but I can’t half the fifteen because it is an odd number.
  2. Next I did ¾ -⅓ = ½ (I am not sure if it’s right).
  3. Then I did 30-4=26 and half of 26 is 13 and (this is so wrong) I thought half of 13 was 6/7, I thought it was the answer.
  4. I showed the teacher and Mr Blakey said it was wrong so Mr Blakey helped us and we used the fake money he told us how to take away fractions.
  5. Our answer was 6.
Describe how you used 2 learning muscles:  
Imitation
I used my imitation muscle when I was doing ¾ -⅓ = ½ because Lauryn thought it was 2/1 but then I told her it was ½ because the biggest number is always at the bottom.
Making Links
I used the making links muscle with my subtraction for taking away the money.
Photo of the task:

IMG_2231.JPG
















No comments:

Post a Comment